Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Unemployment is NOT a vacation- Part 1

Week away from home. Gorgeous mountain lake. Great vacation!



 A relaxing week at Douthat State Park in the beautiful Blue Ridge mountains of VA...so much better than the pool.


 Matt is a natural...of course. These genes serve him well!


I still can't believe how grown up he is.


While I have always had a strong 'dislike' for the cheap, nasty, plastic poles with cartoon characters on them (like fishing isn't cool enough??), I ended up getting one for N since it was the only option we had. He didn't get a hook...just the little rubber fish tied on to the end. 


One morning Matt and I went out in a canoe for some early morning fishing. Maybe not super early, but still...we were on vacation.


Some of my favorite memories of my grandfather were going out with him, well before the sun was up, to try our luck in the river they lived on. My grandmother would always send me out with a  little piece of toast, cut and buttered (sometimes with apple butter), and folded up neatly in a little napkin package. I loved those times on the river, in silence, casting and reeling. Seeing how close I could come to getting my lure as far or precisely placed as he could. 


The lake and beach were perfect...for N, M and the adults too. 



Nathan is working on his "swimming" and loved to splash around in the calm water. The judge in Kazakhstan who grilled us about why we would ever go to the ocean would be so proud.



M got to pursue more exciting things. (No, not the girls, the slide and diving board.)





Have much more. Will post later!




No comments:

Post a Comment